What is an End-point Assessment?
Apprentices are required to complete an End-point Assessment, following on-programme training, learning and development, in order to achieve their apprenticeship. The purpose of an End-point Assessment is to ensure that the apprentice is capable of doing their job before receiving their apprenticeship certificate. This involves completing various assessments at the end of the apprenticeship programme to demonstrate that they can undertake the job in question.
The apprenticeship standard is compiled by employers and specialists that are representatives of the industry. The process is designed to make sure that assessments are totally impartial and that is why they are delivered by an approved End-point Assessment Organisation (Skills and Education Group Awards).
End-point Assessment is not a qualification in itself and is separate to any qualification or other assessment that the apprentice is undertaking on the apprenticeship.
End-point Assessment Supporting Services
As an End-point Assessment Organisation, Skills and Education Group Awards are dedicated to making the End-point Assessment process as simple as possible by offering the following invaluable supporting services:
End-point Assessment Standards
As an End-point Assessment Organisation, we are continuously developing our End-point assessment service. See the list below on the standards that we are involved in:
Level 2 Footwear Manufacturer
Level 5 Bespoke Tailor and Cutter
Level 2 Textile Manufacturing Operative
Ensuring the consistency of textile production in a manufacturing facility.
READ MORE ABOUT THIS STANDARDGO
Level 2 Textile Care Operative
Providing laundry services and often product rental, to a wide range of sectors in the UK.
READ MORE ABOUT THIS STANDARDGO
Level 4 Product Technologist
Producing a wide range of products, from clothing and fashion to leather goods, shoes, soft furnishings, marine and medical textiles.
READ MORE ABOUT THIS STANDARDGO
End-point Assessment Useful Resources
The role of an Employer
An overview of the role of the Employer within End-point Assessment.
READ THE FULL STORYGO
Apprenticeship Funding Flowchart
Glossary of Terms
NEED ADDITIONAL HELP? READ OUR FAQs.
ABOUT END-POINT ASSESSMENT
WHAT IS END-POINT ASSESSMENT?
Apprenticeship standards all have a requirement for End-point assessment (EPA). An End-point assessment is the name given to a series of assessments an apprentice must complete to prove their ability to do the job they have been training for. These assessments take place at the end of the apprenticeship. End-point assessment must be provided by an approved End-point Assessment Organisation (EPAO).
Assessments are carried out in accordance with an Assessment Plan which supports the Apprenticeship Standard.
Find out more about the Register of End-point Assessment Organisations here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/register-of-end-point-assessment-organisations
WHO IS AN INDEPENDENT END-POINT ASSESSOR (IEPA)?
An Independent End-point assessor is a specialist who is sub-contracted to carry out the end-point assessment on behalf of Skills and Education Group Awards. All our IEPAs have the required occupational experience to undertake the role and are trained in carrying out assessments.
WHAT IS AN EQAO?
An External Quality Assurance Organisation (EQAO) is responsible for quality assurance of the EPAO. There are several EQA organisations that support end-point assessment. For example, the EQA for the Fashion and Textiles sector is UK Fashion and Textiles Association (UKFT), the Sector Skills Body for the sector.
As an EPAO we are closely monitored to make sure we provide high quality, effective and consistent EPA service across all Employers and Training Providers.
WHAT SUPPORT WILL I RECEIVE AS AN EMPLOYER/TRAINING PROVIDER?
We can offer a range of support including:-
• Our Business Development Team can offer advice on our product range including end-point assessment;
• We have a dedicated End-point Assessment team. Named officers are available to support customers;
• We have regular communications via our website, social media, email newsletters, annual conference;
• A dedicated EPA email address (firstname.lastname@example.org);
• A bespoke IT system which includes a full range of online resources and helps you manage the end-point assessment process effectively.
WHY CHOOSE US AS YOUR END-POINT ASSESSMENT ORGANISATION?
The following are the benefits of working with us:-
• You will be working with an Awarding Organisation which is part of the Skills and Education Group which has many years’ experience of supporting vocational education and training;
• You will gain access to our dedicated end-point assessment team who will provide support with the end-point assessment journey;
• Clear guidance and resources to help you through the end-point assessment process including what to expect and how the assessments are carried out;
• Access to our bespoke IT system providing a step by step approach to managing the process;
• Staged payments to ensure no unnecessary upfront charges.
ONCE THE END-POINT ASSESSMENT PROCESS IS COMPLETE, HOW QUICKLY ARE CERTIFICATES ISSUED?
As soon as an apprentice completes and achieves their end-point assessment, we will apply to the ESFA for your final certificate to be issued by them. Whilst we cannot guarantee any timelines for processes undertaken by the ESFA we can assure you that our part of the process will be undertaken quickly and efficiently.
During the assessment process, we will provide a certificate in respect of completion of each component. Whilst this is not a formal certificate of completion, it does recognise success as apprentices go through the process.
WHO CAN I CONTACT FOR MORE INFORMATION?
Please get in touch with our end-point assessment team and we will be happy to provide further information. You can email email@example.com or telephone us on 0115 854 1620.
FEES AND ASSOCIATED COSTS
WHEN ARE EPA FEES PAYABLE?
Fees are paid in stages with a small amount paid at the beginning of the process and the majority of the remaining fee payable following completion of assessments.
HOW MUCH DOES EPA COST?
Fees vary by standard. Click on the list of standards above to find out more information including the fees payable.
WHO PAYS FOR END-POINT ASSESSMENT?
End-point assessment costs are paid for by the Training Provider on the employer’s behalf as part of their contract with Skills and Education Group Awards.
DO RESITS AND RETAKES COST EXTRA?
There are additional charges in respect of resit and retake fees. These vary by standard. Please contact us and we will be happy to provide the relevant prices for the standard you are interested in.
Costs in excess of the money available from the funding band to pay for End-point Assessment must be met by the employer.
HOW DOES THE EPA PROCESS WORK?
You will receive full guidance on how the process will work and what is required by Employers, Training Providers and apprentices as part of the EPA journey. In summary, the key steps are as follows:-
• Once you have selected us as your End-point Assessment Organisation, a contract is set up and you will be provided with full access to our Platform for End-point Assessment (PEPA) along with the supporting resources;
• Register your apprentices on the PEPA system, providing at least three months’ notice of their intended Gateway progression date;
• Once there is an agreement between the Training Provider and Employer that the Gateway has been reached, complete the relevant section on PEPA and upload evidence to support this. We will check Gateway has been successfully completed and will then plan the assessment dates with you;
• The assessment process is undertaken and the apprentice’s results will be published via the PEPA system. Where necessary, resits and retakes can be scheduled;
• Following successful end-point assessment, certification is requested from the ESFA. Certificates are sent directly to the employer.
WHEN SHOULD END-POINT ASEESSMENT SERVICES FROM THE SKILLS AND EDUCATION GROUP BE REQUESTED?
You should let us know that you would like us to provide end-point assessment services as soon as possible so that we can set you up on our system and enable you to access the relevant support materials you need to help you and your apprentice prepare for their assessment.
For each apprentice please provide at least three months’ notice of their expected Gateway progression date so that we can plan to support this process at the right time. You will do this by registering the apprentice on our IT platform, PEPA.
WHERE WILL EPA BE CARRIED OUT?
The venue will depend on the requirements set out in the Assessment Plan for the Standard. This is often the Training Provider or Employer’s location. We will let you know of any particular requirements you might need to fulfil in order for the assessment to be carried out. For example, the assessment might require the use of a quiet room free of any distraction, or require the use of particular equipment.
HOW CAN I REGISTER FOR STANDARDS?
To register for a standard email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call our team on 0115 854 1620.
WILL I NEED A CONTRACT TO ACCESS END-POINT ASSESSMENT SERVICES?
In order to access end-point assessment, the Employer must select us as their End-point Assessment Organisation, at which time we will set in place a contract with the Training Provider/Employer Provider in respect of the service. This is a quick and straightforward process.